What’s this current trend shifting to metal wallets? Is it here to stay? Or just a fad? Styles certainly come and go, but some shifts in styles become classics. And that’s what it looks like for metal wallets. The benefits of a metal wallet are obvious so quickly that this seems to be a permanent shift in the everyday carry (EDC) routine. Like adding a cellphone, changing out a bulky, legacy wallet for a metal wallet is here to stay.
Metal wallets made a splash when first introduced, but now you’ll find they are pretty mainstream. The reasons metal wallets are a foundation for EDCs now include:
- Smaller Size
- Card Access
- Card Protection
- RFID Protection
Let’s take a look at some of these features before we examine the specifics of the best metal wallets for 2023.
First, we need to answer the question of why you would even want a smaller wallet. The most common reason is that people simply carry less in their wallets.
- Now that you have pictures of your kids on your phone, there’s no need to carry their school pics in your wallet.
- Financial experts suggest carrying fewer credit cards makes budgeting and financial planning more successful.
- Receipts are now optional for many small purchases. There’s no need to carry the receipt for your morning coffee unless you’re lucky enough to be able to write it off.
- There’s no need to carry wads of cash around now that it’s easy to pay with a chipped card.
So, with less in your wallet, it makes sense that a smaller size works. But the second reason is actually even more critical.
Secondly, doctors and pickpockets together send the same message to support the front pocket carry. The message from the medical community is clear. Sitting on a wallet, even for 30 minutes a day, can throw your pelvis, hips, and back out of alignment. This can pinch your sciatic nerve and contribute to lower back pain.
Pickpockets find a wallet easier to access in your back pocket. So, they join the doctors in suggesting a front pocket carry. With all the dangers of identity theft now, it makes sense to protect your wallet in your front pocket.
Besides all that, a smaller wallet helps maintain the fit of your clothes. Why spend time choosing clothes that look good if you’re going to let your wallet ruin it all?
Styles of the Best Wallets in 2023
There’s no question that a metal wallet simply looks sleek and modern while having a rustic edge. Each model has a slightly different balance between the two, depending on the features. Gone are the days when everyone’s wallet looked alike!
With different types of metal, you start with various finishes. Add the myriad of color choices, and you get to use your wallet to make a style statement. Plus, many metal wallets incorporate some high-quality leather. It’s even more common for people to have more than one wallet for different occasions. A sleek, sophisticated choice for date night. A rugged, rustic style for a weekend in the woods. And a no-nonsense, practical wallet packed with features as an EDC at work.
Many metal wallets offer an ID window, perfect for showing your ID without removing your card. Ideal when you’re making purchases. Also, great if you need to show your ID at work or the gym.
Plus, while your cards do stack on top of each other, many metal wallets have an easy access feature. Pull a tab or swipe your thumb, and you can quickly access whatever you need.
Old-fashioned billfolds were designed to carry cash and then redesigned to add cards. Metal wallets are specifically designed to carry cards. In fact, you’ll find most metal wallets have a limit of just a few bills. Back in the day, when your grandfather had to carry wads of cash, he simply needed a different wallet design. Metal wallets fit the needs of modern life.
Credit and debit cards can get damaged in a regular wallet, especially in a back pocket carry. Cards get bent and cracked, making it necessary to replace them before they expire. Banks give long expiry dates now, and many cards never expire. So, protecting the physical structure of your cards is more important than ever. The metal strips and chips in the cards also need protection. They are pretty resilient, but a metal wallet provides some added protection.
Did you know that there is such a thing as an electronic pickpocket? They have specialized devices that read the information from a credit or debit card several feet away. So, they can capture (and steal) your data without you even knowing! A metal wallet provides RFID protection just by being metal. You can add RFID protection to any wallet, but metal wallets have it built in.
There’s no question that metal wallets are durable. The metal treatments ensure there is no rust. The Trayvax 65-year heirloom warranty on metal wallets gives you an idea of how durable they are!
What Metals Are in Metal Wallets?
Some wallets have a choice of metals, while others offer a selection of colors in the same metal, usually stainless. Mostly this is about the look, as any metal works well.
- Stainless Steel – By far the most common metal for metal wallets because of the durability, availability, and reasonable cost. Steel is heavier than some other metals, but the wallets use little enough that the extra weight is not really a concern.
- Brass – This is primarily a style choice. There’s no mistaking the unique, natural color of brass. Many prefer how brass complements a variety of leather shades in a wallet with both materials, like the Trayvax Contour.
- Aluminum – Lighter than other metals, aluminum makes for an easy EDC. About 30% lighter than stainless, some people find it makes a difference in a front pocket carry.
- Titanium – A pure metal, titanium is probably the strongest metal used to make wallets and is also very light. So, although a bit more expensive and harder to find, a titanium wallet is a great choice.
The Best Metal Wallets in 2023
Trayvax offers a selection of metal wallets in 2023. With a wide variety of features and styles, you’re bound to find one you like. But let’s take a quick look at some of the best-ranked metal wallets across the industry this year.
The Trayvax Original 2.0
Always at the top of any best metal wallet list is the Trayvax Original 2.0. USA-made with exceptional durability, the Original 2.0 is a multi-functional, tactical, TSA-approved wallet built to withstand 65 years of everyday use. The adjustable design perfectly fits the cards in your EDC carry, with RFID protection, a money clip, a pry bar, and a bottle opener. The Original 2.0 holds up to 15 cards and 1-5 folded bills.
The Ridge Wallet
Elegant and minimal, the Ridge Wallet is well-known in today’s market. Simple in design, it uses two places to keep cards together. It includes a money clip for easy storage of banknotes on the back. All very secure yet easy to access. The Ridge has a wide range of variations, so it is very customizable. It holds up to 12 cards without stretching out, blocks RFID, and you can replace the elastic when it wears out.
The Trayvax Element
A rugged stainless-steel frame combines with top-grain oil-tanned leather for a unique style in a TSA-approved metal wallet. RFID blocking protection and an integrated money clip hold 3-10 cards and 1-5 folded bills. Made in the USA, the Element carries a 65-year heirloom warranty. Extra features include a convenient bottle opener, an attachment point for a lanyard, and a selection window in this slim design front-pocket wallet.
The Spine Wallet
The Spine is a super slim wallet made from a single metal sheet with an elastic band around the center. A bottle opener is cut directly into the metal, which is handy for actually opening bottles but also reduces the wallet’s weight. You can also use the cutout as an attachment point, even though that was not the original purpose.
The Most Sophisticated Metal Wallet for 2023 – The Contour
The Contour metal wallet by Trayvax is often called “a favorite, by far!” The Contour combines a durable metal frame overlayed with premium leather. Excellent for the outdoorsy types with features like:
- Integrated bottle opener
- Attachment point for a lanyard to connect to a backpack or belt
- Torx wrench
- Durability when exposed to the elements
The elegant design fits up to 13 cards and 10 bills. Choose a custom combination of titanium, brass, or stainless steel with four leather colors.
The Venture Billfold
The Venture Billfold completely redefines the traditional bi-fold wallet. Combined low-profile card storage and a full-sized cash pocket create a classic yet modern metal wallet. The distinctive magnetic closure provides instant access yet makes security automatic. The best metal wallet functionality with a classic wallet style. Holds up to 9 cards standard or 12 when stretched and 20+ bills. TSA approved. RFID Blocking. Made in the USA and carries the Trayvax 65-year heirloom warranty.
More of the Best Metal Wallets for 2023
Those are not the only metal wallets on the best-of list for 2023. Consider these if you’re still looking.
- The Ascent – Ultra-slim, the Ascent has a durable melonite finish on stainless steel combined with hand-stitched top-grain leather. TSA approved with a 65-year heirloom warranty. Fits 4-7 cards with up to 5 bills. Check the unique easy access ID window for 2-3 cards and quick access card slot and pull tab for 2-4 cards.
- Dango Maverick Rail – The Maverick Rail is brushed metal aerospace-grade aluminum with an innovative quick-release rail mechanism for easy access. Holds up to 9 cards, with a silicone band to secure notes and receipts.
- Axis Wallet – This stainless steel bi-fold metal wallet includes a money clip, an easy access ID window, and a hidden coin pocket and key holder. RFID blocking, TSA approved. The Axis Wallet holds 1-14 cards and 1-8 folded bills.
Metal wallets are no passing fad. The best metal wallets for 2023 will remain a popular EDC for a lifetime. You have many choices but watch for specs like how many cards you can carry, if it holds bills, and what kind of metal/leather the manufacturer uses. Match the wallet to the user, and you have a great combination for decades!