Police and news agencies across the country have been posting numerous warnings about pickpockets.Omaha police are warning Nebraskans about a group of thieves stealing credit cards out of women’s purses. The Olathe Police Department released video of two thieves who came to a Panera Bread to steal from customers. And investigators in Miami say an organized group of professional pickpockets are stealing from unsuspecting people in crowded restaurants and stores. So what can you do to protect yourself both at home and abroad?
1) Limit what you carry. It’s become the Trayvax motto, “carry only what you need.” Pickpockets can’t steal what you don’t have. Get rid of unnecessary items and take a minimalistic approach to carrying cash and cards. Leave your valuables locked away and only bring the essentials.
2) Keep wallets in your front pocket. Back pocket wallets are an easy target for thieves. A super slim wallet creates a slim profile and allows you to store valuables in your front pocket where they’re harder to steal.
3) Keep larger items around your waist. Purses, passports and extra items should be stored around the waist. You should still keep your money and debit/credit cards that you need for the day in your wallet stored in your front pocket, but all the extras should be stored around the waist. Some purse straps, like the Epiphany Clutch, can be used as waist straps.
4) Leave nothing unattended. If you leave your purse or wallet unattended, you’re just asking for trouble. Don’t make it easy for thieves to steal your valuables. It sounds simple, but many of the above news reports can be attributed to unattended purses. Do not hang a bag or purse over the back of a chair and do not leave it behind while you walk off.
5) Never pat your pocket to see if your wallet is there. This lets a criminal know the exact location of your valuables.
Don’t let thieves get the upper hand. Instead, be prepared the next time you the leave the house.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
At first, you may feel slightly vulnerable. If you have been carrying around a bulky wallet for the past ten years, you might feel like “something is missing”. The panic thought of “where is my wallet!?”
Do not fret, soon you will love the quick access card slots, the effective money clip and sleek design of an everyday carry that feels good in your hand. And most importantly in your front pocket.